KCSB News Special Projects Desk Producer
Posted: April 21, 2015
General Summary of Duties/Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the News and Public Affairs Director and in collaboration with the Associate News Director, researches, coordinates and gathers coverage, produces stories and periodic special broadcasts in areas that have been lacking in coverage locally or at KCSB, or in an area that is appropriate to various news cycles, such as elections and UC Regents meetings. Areas of coverage will be prioritized on a quarterly basis by the News Department. The Special Projects producer also assists in the production of the daily newscasts.
1. Identifies events for coverage throughout the year locally, statewide, nationally and internationally
2. Attends weekly news meetings to pitch story ideas to news reporters.
3. Produces a minimum of five stories per quarter related to the Special Projects Desk coverage area(s)
4. Helps to produce special broadcasts related to the year’s coverage focus (live carriage of UC Regents meetings, elections issues)
5. Maintains an up-to-date planning calendar of desk-related coverage (important votes, deadlines, summits, meetings, debates and hearings, etc.)
6. Follows up with reporters who are working on stories assigned by the Special Projects Desk and the Associate News Director
7. Keeps an ear to the ground on new developments and for breaking news related to desk coverage areas
8. Ensures stories produced by the Special Projects Desk are posted to the KCSB web site
Please answer the following questions in detail on a separate sheet of paper. Only typewritten responses attached to this application will be considered.
- Please detail any and all relevant experience, inside and outside of KCSB/KJUC. Please provide evidence of any experience, if applicable.
- What is your impression of the News Special Projects Desk Producer position? Have you spoken with the current News Special Projects Desk Producer about this position? If so, what have you learned?
- What kinds of other skills (i.e. technical, organizational, time management, personnel, etc.) do you have that you feel would help you in this position?
- What is your impression of KCSB, including its values, mission, and significance? Be sure to address every aspect of the station.
- Why do you want to be News Special Projects Desk Producer?
- What are some of your goals and objectives for this position, KCSB, and the news and public affairs department?
- What level of time commitment are you willing to devote to the carrying out of your goals and objectives?
- Is there any additional information you feel is relevant?
Member of the Associated Students UCSB during entire term of office. Must have at lease a 2.0 cumulative GPA at application time. Must be legally trained on the station equipment and logs and have passed the FM competency test prior to term of office.
Should have an understanding of the station, its operations, its policies, and its bylaws. Strong leadership skills, ability to prioritize tasks, complete projects on time, and meet deadlines strongly recommended.
Any questions should be directed to either Kenny Oravetz or Marta Ulvaeus. Please observe all deadlines.
Hours Per Week: up to 18
Location: KCSB in Storke Communications Building